Thursday, April 25, 2013

Michelin Tires Surprise-I Have Two More Years

I checked my Dutch Star tires today. They were manufactured in May, 2008. Conventional wisdom among RVers is that you should not press your luck beyond seven years. Around this time, the tires may be developing cracks in the sidewall which can cause failure (blowout).......something you sure do not want while driving 40,000 lbs, at 65 or 70 mph.  So, I'm good this year....but...will check them constantly. When it's time, I'll go with Michelins again.....probably around a $4500 expense.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard that Michelins are much worse about dry rot than other tires. My coach came with Goodyear G670 tires, but I've replaced them all with Bridgestone R250F tires. The goodyear RV tires seem to wear too fast on the outer edge. Goodyear blamed alignment when this happened on the front tires, but then it started on the drive tires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will stay with Michelins. I had a friend who owned several Goodyear stores. His advice, based on several years of dealings with tire failures on many brands, was to go with Michelins as they simply experienced fewer blowouts/failures.

    ReplyDelete